These paint-by-number kits are the latest craze this year 2020, and although most people feel happy enough to finish their painting, others prefer their artwork to stand out. If you’re the kind of person who wants to leave a lasting impression through your art, then buckle up because you’ll learn how to make paint by numbers look better in this article.
On the other hand, if you’re a simple person who wants to stick to the classic paint-by-numbers way, you may also read this article where we discuss the most important tips to remember as you start your paint-by-numbers journey.
Now, let’s go ahead and take a look at some tips and tricks to enhance your painting experience, shall we?
6 Quick Tips on How to Make Paint by Numbers Look Better
With all the resources you’ll find over the internet, you’ll see that there are a lot of ways on how to make paint by numbers look better especially if you pay attention even to the smallest details on the canvas. In this article, we’ve carefully rounded up the most important tips to take note of.
- Double-check if you’re using the right color: This may sound like a very basic tip, one that you may even roll your eyes at, but believe us when we say that this is one of the most important steps of a paint by numbers project.
When you’re already painting for hours, you may find yourself being carried away by the calming effect that paint-by-numbers have. Because of this, you might lose track of which color to use or pick up a different one by accident.
A tip: If you ever mess up one of the colors, don’t worry! Just wait for the paint to dry completely and layer the correct color on top.
- Layer extra coats of paint: Applying extra coats of paint is not only useful when you make a small mistake with certain sections, but it’s also an important step that you should do as adding extra layers provides that polished look to the whole painting.
In addition, the first layer you paint is more on laying down the base coat and blocking the sections so it’s easier to fill in. After that, the additional layers help fill that color, smoothen out any streaky areas, and cover up the numbers on the painting, giving the final painting that polished and professional look.
- Blend the edges: Since paint-by-numbers kits are designed in such a way that the numbers are to be painted within a certain block, it creates this appearance of crisp, sharp edges. While that's the normal way to go, sometimes we want a painting that's well blended with soft edges instead.
With this in mind, you may try swiping your brush back and forth between an edge where two colors meet so that both of the colors soften and blend together. However, blending edges is easier to try when you've mastered the basics of painting by numbers. If it's your first time doing this, we recommend trying it out on smaller areas first. It’s also best to apply this method in sections where the technique makes the most sense.
Skies, for example, have different shades and gradients of colors, so it would make a lot of sense to apply this method.
- Frame your artwork: Another way to make your masterpiece look professionally done is to frame it once you’re all done with the painting. This way, you can ensure that the canvas remains secured, and it’s also one of the easiest ways to show off that beautiful painting you’ve worked hard for. Trust us, your friends and family deserve to see that piece of art!
- Use water to create effects : Since acrylic paint is water-soluble, you can thin it out with water and achieve interesting effects. Adding water to the paint makes it look more transparent, creating an illusion of subtle shifts in color.
However, it's better to test out this method on a separate piece of paper first before you paint it on your canvas. Once you've achieved your desired effect, you may go ahead and do the same thing to your canvas.
- Lastly, feel free to add your personal touch to the painting: Working with paint-by-number kits basically takes away a lot of guesswork, and it also gives you a great base to start with especially if you’re already familiar with the basic skills needed. Sometimes, depending on a person’s preference, you’ll find that some sections feel lacking in detail, but that’s actually the perfect time to embrace your creativity.
Don’t be afraid to add elements to the painting, and remember that it doesn’t have to be perfect because you’re totally in control. Adding your personal styles, techniques and touch-ups will make you feel more connected to your painting, so make sure to let your creativity run freely.
Now That You Know How to Make Paint by Numbers Look Better
We hope that you’ll feel confident enough to try out these tips and tricks for your next paint by numbers activity as these will surely help you make your paintings look its best. Remember that there are no right or wrongs when it comes to these kits, so let go of any inhibitions and have fun painting!
If you’re ready to start your new project, grab one of our custom paint by number kits today, and get that creativity flowing!