A question you’ve probably asked before you began your first painting by numbers journey is what paint is used in paint by numbers . The most common answers that usually come to mind would be oil or acrylic paint, but there are significant differences between the two that’s worth taking note of. In this article, we discuss the importance of those differences and why we believe that acrylic paint is the most ideal choice for this project.
Why Acrylic Paints are The Best Choice for Your Paint by Numbers Kit
Leading companies in the market today like MiiCreative use acrylic for paint by number kits for a lot of good reasons. Since we already know that acrylic paint is the answer to the question of "what paint is used in paint by numbers" , let’s go ahead and shed some light on why acrylic paint is the best partner for your paint-by-numbers kit
- They dry quickly: Acrylic paints are water-based and dry significantly faster than oils. Now, what this means for your painting experience is that you can quickly add a second or third layer to the existing one. Usually, the reasons for applying an additional layer is to cover the number if it’s still visible, polish the painting, or simply paint over a wrong color.
- It’s compatible with the brush: Since the usual type of brush that comes with paint by number kits is synthetic, you don’t have to worry about spending the extra money to buy a different set of brushes as synthetic ones match perfectly with acrylics. They go well together because synthetic bristles don’t absorb water, which makes it a good pair with acrylics that are water-based paints.
- It’s meant to last a long time: Have you ever heard of the term lightfastness? If not, let’s describe the term real quick. Lightfastness simply refers to how fast a color fades or changes its shade when exposed to light. The good thing about acrylic paints is they’re excellent in this regard.
Now, why is this important to know? It’s because of the fact that you’re most likely going to display your painting in an area that’s exposed to light, particularly when you hang it up against the walls of your home. However, you won’t have to worry about it fading or changing in color due to its resistance to lightfastness. On the other hand, oils tend to fade quickly or turn into a yellowish color when exposed to light.
- Acrylics are pleasant to work with: Although oils are visually pleasing to the eyes, they are not very friendly when it comes to our nose. Oil paints have this distinct, irritating smell that can cause headaches, especially when you’re working in a small, cramped space. However, with acrylic paint, this wouldn’t be an issue at all as it doesn’t give off an intense odor. You can pour in hours into your painting without getting a headache, letting you enjoy your painting session with nothing to worry about.
What Makes Acrylic Paints Amazing
Since we already know what paint is used in paint by numbers and the reasons that make acrylics amazing, let’s quickly sum up why we think that acrylic paint is an excellent choice through these facts:
- It’s water-based: Unlike oil paints, acrylics are usually thinned out with water and cleaned with water as well. Not only is this convenient because you don’t have to worry about purchasing a separate material to thin out and clean the paint on your canvas, but it also saves both your money and your time.
- Acrylics are non-toxic: If you’re an eco- or health-conscious person, this makes acrylics a very attractive option because aside from being non-toxic, acrylic paints do not have a strong, unpleasant smell. Given these points, the last thing you’ll have to worry about when working with acrylics are headaches, as you most definitely won’t get one. Of course, the best thing about this factor is that acrylics are safe for both your kids and pets, ensuring a safe and fun experience for everyone.
- Acrylics can mimic the quality of oil paints: Acrylic paints can be as beautiful to the eyes as oil paints are, but without the toxicity of the latter. As mentioned, acrylics don’t have a pungent smell and also, they are much easier to clean up as compared to oils. With this in mind, you can achieve a beautiful painting through the use of acrylic paints without having to deal with the negative effects of oils when it comes to its smell and difficulty to clean.
Now That You Know What Paint is Used in Paint by Numbers
We hope that this article sheds some light on your questions on why most paint by number kits in the market today make use of acrylic paints. Although oil paint is not a terrible option, we have a good amount of reason to believe that acrylic paint is the way to go for this type of activity.
If you’re ever wondering just exactly how amazing acrylic paints look like with these kits, make sure to check out hundreds of finished artwork submitted by DIY painters on MiiCreative’s customer reviews page.