One of the most exciting elements of Paint by Numbers is that you’ll start off with a blank and colorless canvas, but as you continue to fill in the shapes with colors, a stunning and vibrant painting begins to take form. This can be easily done with a proper understanding of how to do paint by numbers and through the various tips and tricks that you’ll find in this article.
Exploring New Hobbies at the Period of Quarantine
In this quarantine, everyone is constantly trying to explore new things to keep themselves busy with either to de-stress, improve their skills, discover new hobbies, or simply just to have fun. Along with the thrill and excitement of trying new things is the fear of messing up or doing something wrong along the way, and that’s perfectly natural! We make mistakes, and we learn from them. Thankfully, there’s plenty of resources over the internet on how to do paint by numbers, and we’ve carefully rounded up the most important things to remember and tips to follow.
Best Tips on How to do Paint by Numbers:
Preparation is key: Firstly, you want to make sure that you have everything you need all set up such as your brushes, acrylic paints, and a cup of water to clean your brushes with. Of course, you’d like to work in a brightly lit area, and you may also consider keeping a magnifying glass handy to help with painting smaller areas on the canvas.
- Start from the largest areas first: There’s no right or wrong method when it comes to this, but we recommend starting with the largest areas and then slowly work your way down to the smallest sections on your canvas. This should help you familiarize the brush strokes that work best for you and visualize how the final painting will turn out as the sections come together.
Dark colors should be your priority: Aside from starting with the larger areas, it’s also best to start painting with the darkest colors first as this should give you an idea of how the light and dark colors complement each other. If you’re feeling more creative, this method will also help you tell which colors you can mix and match.
- Minimize smudging: As the saying goes, some things are easier said than done. However, by painting from top to bottom, there will be less chance for smudging and leaving unwanted marks all over the canvas. Don’t worry, being extra careful will be very rewarding in the end especially when you finish with a clean piece of canvas, with the beautiful colors on your kit highlighted perfectly.
Cover the numbers: If you want a polished look for your canvas, you want to make sure that the numbers aren’t visible especially if you’re planning to put up your artwork on display. With this in mind, you can apply a second coat of paint as soon as the first coat dries out so you can ensure that the paints on your canvas will be even.
- Be mindful of your resources: Although it seems like a very basic thing to remember, we feel like it’s necessary to highlight the importance of keeping an eye on your supplies. Make sure to take care of the brushes and paint pots you’re using through the following steps:
- Wipe and wet your brushes clean to avoid paint from building up and wash out the previous color you’ve used.
- Remember to place the lids back on your paint pots to prolong its life and keep them from drying up.
- Lastly, don’t forget to enjoy and let your imagination run wild: Even though most paint by number kits normally come with specific instructions on how to do paint by numbers, that doesn’t mean that you can’t play with your creativity and make your own rules as well. Discover your own techniques, come up with unique styles, and add personal touches to your painting. Who knows? The method you’ve come up with might actually end up being better than the instructions that came with your kit.
Key Point to Remember:
Learning how to do paint by numbers is a process that everyone can learn, and the good thing about it is that the guidelines are generally easy to follow. You can even customize the steps in such a way that will shape your painting experience to something that's even more enjoyable and personal.
These simple tips combined with your personal touches will certainly build up your confidence to create a beautiful work of art. It may take a while for you to get the hang of it and finish your painting, but one thing's for sure: the end result is definitely worth it.